Alphabet Soup : Are you creative with words?
Overview of Alphabet Soup
Alphabet Soup (or ABC) was formerly known as ACROPHOBIA. It was originally written for IRC by Kenrick Mock in 1996 based on a game concept by Anthony Shubert. The game was renamed to Alphabet Soup and slightly changed when deployed for Talk City. Alphabet Soup is different from the other games, in that it is not a trivia game. Your job, in one minute or less, is to make the funniest and most original phrase for a random acronym 3-7 letters long. As with the other games, Alphabet Soup is hosted by a bot named AlphaBot 24 hours a day. In the NC17 room, language is not restricted, so you may encounter some harsh language at times. However, players are asked to be courteous to one another. There is also a PG13 room for more restricted language.
To play, use any IRC client and point your server to botosaurus.com, port 6667 or port 6660 and join #abc-pg13 or #abc-nc17.
The game begins with the bot presenting the acronym, for example, "MTG". Your acro must be a series of words that begins with the letters M, T, and G. For example, "Meatwhiz Tastes Great!" would be a valid acronym, along with "Mister T's Groovy!". You have 30 seconds to think up your acronym. At this time, the bot will present the collected answers and you are given a short amount of time to vote in a private message for the acronym that you think is best. You are not allowed to vote for your own acronym. Finally, AlphaBot will list each acro and tell you how many votes that acronym received. The first player to reach 30 points wins.
The points are added like this:
- Each time a player votes for your acronym, you get one point.
- Each time you are the first player to give an acronym, you get two "speed" points. You only get these if you have less than 26 points, however, so it is not possible to win a game on speed points. You also can't change your answer if you get speed points.
- The person(s) with the most votes per round get bonus points. These are based on the length of the acronym. A 5 letter acronym earns you five bonus points if you won the most votes.
- If you don't vote but did submit an acro, you will lose any bonus points that you might normally receive. We want you to vote!
- You lose one point if your acronym is invalid and does not match the characters given to you.
How To Play
Throughout the game, AlphaBot will tell you what you need to do. If you watch for his messages, then you will be able to play fine. In general, you will be sending answers to the bot through private messages. When sending in commands, you must use "alpha" as the first word in your sentence.
The following is a short game transcript:
AlphaBot: The current acronym for this round is : MTG. Players, private message me your acronym.
Private Message To AlphaBot: MeatWhiz Tastes Great!
*AlphaBot* Your acronym of MeatWhiz Tastes Great! has been received.
AlphaBot: Acro #1 received!
AlphaBot: Acro #2 received!
AlphaBot: Acro #3 received!
AlphaBot: Ten seconds left.
AlphaBot: Voting Round: Choose one of the following:
AlphaBot:  MeatWhiz Tastes Great!
AlphaBot:  Mr T's Groovy
AlphaBot:  my tacos green
Private Message To AlphaBot: 2
*AlphaBot* Your vote has been registered.
AlphaBot: Spam's answer of "MeatWhiz Tastes Great! received 2 votes.
AlphaBot: SpooHead's answer of "Mr T's Groovy" received 0 votes.
AlphaBot: SpooHead receives 2 speed points.
AlphaBot: Futzy's answer of "my tacos green" received 1 vote.
AlphaBot: Futzy receives 3 bonus points.
In this short segment, players send in their votes and acronyms to the bot. The bot displays the results to the channel.
Players using multiple accounts or signons to cheat are not appreciated. Alphabot logs votes and this makes it easier to identify cheaters. If you are caught cheating, you will be
banned from the game indefinitely.
Game Bot Commands
The commands that AlphaBot recognizes are listed below. These
commands may be stated publicly on the channel or in a private message without the word "alpha".
- alpha show acronym - Displays the current acronym.
- alpha show scores - Displays scores for the current game.
- alpha show top wins - Displays players with the top 10 wins of all time.
- alpha show stats nick - Displays wins of nick.
The following command is accepted in private messages only:
- /note message - Stores message in a log file. Use this to send in bug fixes or other messages of things that should be fixed. I will periodically read through the log file and process the information.
Alphabet Soup IRC Game Copyright 1997 - 2009 Kenrick Mock.